top of page


Lone Rider on muddy Main Street Hill looking north. Circa 1870's

1941 p. card B'ville south from Morgan.j

Downtown Boonville in the 1930's

Boonville Female Seminary 1870's by James Macurdy. Corner of Sixth and Locust St.

A fire destroyed most of the building but it still stands today.

You can find the story about this in Wayne's book. From the Wayne Lammers collection

Main and Chestnut streets circa 1880's, looking north

Harvesting Ice on the Missouri River. Photo by Max Schmidt. Circa 1900's

Hotel Frederick, Main St. circa 1930

Ferd E. Arn seen behind the boy with the striped shirt in front of his Sporting Goods Store

on Main St. circa 1890's. The pelican was killed by someone off the

Missouri River here at Boonville. Photo by SHSMO

This is inside the Ferd Arn Sporting Store where Maggie's Bar & Grill is today.

Ferd is the man on the right in center in black

Ferd E. Arn sold the first car in Boonville.

From the Wayne Lammers collection

Man biking on Main and Morgan Streets. circa 1890's.

Ferd E. Arn also sold bikes in Boonville. Photo by SHSMO

Gmelich Schmidt Jewelry Store Group circa 1890's. Maximilian Schmidt 2nd from left

Inside Holt's cafe circa 1930/40

From the Wayne Lammers collection

Garthoffner Cigar Store located where Knights of Pythias Building is today.

Notice the Indian Cigarman behind the third and forth men on the right. circa 1880's.

Photo by SHSMO

Crowd at Zuzaks Wonder Store circa 1920. From the Wayne Lammers collection

Morgan and Main Street southwest. The Senate Saloon on the corner with the James Macurdy. Photography Studio to the right. Circa 1880's.


From the Wayne Lammers collection

Inside Craig's Dairy on Main Street. Circa 1930/40's

A.M. Koontz at 217 Main St. had a shipment of 333 wooden boxes, circa mid 1880's,

of Chase & Sanborn Coffee & Tea from Boston Mass delivered via steamboat here to Boonville.

This location is where Ann Harman and The Celestial Body is located today.

From the Wayne Lammers collection

Chief Red Fox stayed at Pete's Cafe for years telling about his life.

He was a nephew of Chief Crazy Horse, the famous Sioux who fought General Custer

at the Little BigHorn. Pete's Cafe has served the Boonslick area since 1920

The story of Chief Red Fox

This is a broken glass plate negative taken by Max Schmidt in front of his jewelry store Gmilick & Schmidt on Main, looking toward Morgan St. Circa 1890s

From the Wayne Lammers collection

Beautiful home built by riverboat Captain John Porter at 312 Center Street. Circa 1890's

Painting owned by the Dick Blanck Family

Pottery in Boonville. Dick Blanck collection.

This 9 inch jug was built by The Vollrath or Blanck Pottery Co. on Locust Street.

My friend Sam Jewett dug it out of a ditch where broken pieces were discarded.

The back side had a chip broken off. I repaired it and love it in my collection.

Photo by Wayne Lammers Oct. 23, 2022.

Walz Family Serves Boonville Grocery Store and Jewelry

Born in Germany on July 29, 1838, Nicholas Waltz immigrated to the US with his family in 1846. They settled in Chicago, Illinois, where Nicholas finished growing up and received the rest of his education. When Nicholas was 19, he followed his father to Boonville where he worked as a clerk in his brother-in-law’s store. Three years later, Nicholas bought the business that he ran so well until his retirement in 1884. Nicholas grew his store to be the largest grocery store in Central Missouri and, for a number of years, could boast the largest volume of business in this part of the state.

Nicholas Walz didn’t confine his interests to his business. He also devoted a good deal of his time to his community and his family. Walz served three terms on the Boonville City Council.

Nicholas Walz and Julia Brenneisen, who was also born in Germany, were joined in Holy Matrimony in 1845 and the union was blessed with five sons and three daughters: Leopold C., John E., Herman G., Louise, Charles A., Julia, Laura, and Henry G.

John Walz was born on November 3, 1864. He received his education in Boonville and then, in 1880, began learning the trade of watchmaker and jeweler from the firm of Hannacke and Kauffman. After four years, Walz joined the firm of Gmelich and Huber where he continued to learn the business for another ten years. In 1894, two years after his father died, Walz established his own jewelry business. A younger brother, Charles A., became his assistant.

Like his father, John Walz was active in community affairs. He served as director of the Boonville Commercial Club. John was also responsible for Boonville’s “White Way” project. The plan was to light Main Street in downtown Boonville. He originated the plan, promoted it, solicited contributions, secured sufficient funds to place eight standards, and persuaded the Sombart family, who owned the electric company, to donate the power. Later, when the company was sold, he got the new owners to extend the contract for free power. For all his work on this project, Walz became known as the “Father of the White Way.”

He was so well thought of that the Republican Party twice asked him to run for Mayor. Both times Walz declined saying he had no desire or preference for political honors.

David Andrews, another community leader

When David Andrews arrived in Old Franklin and Boonville, he was 19 and so poor he had only the shirt on his back which he washed in the Missouri River.


He was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on May 2, 1809, and would work hard using his financial and management gifts to eventually become one of the wealthiest men of Boonville.


Andrews started out in Boonville as a tanner. Once established he went back to St. Louis for Margaret Baird whom he married.


Life wasn't easy for Andrews. Twice he lost his shop by fire, but each time he rebuilt and his business continued to grow.


In 1839 Boonville was incorporated into a city by the state of Missouri and Andrews was elected one of Boonville's first city councilmen. The other six were William Shields, J. L. Collins, Jacob Wyan, Charles Smith, J. S. McFarland, and J. H. Malone. Marcus Williams, Jr. was elected the first mayor and J. Rice the president of the board.


Andrews didn't fair too well during the Civil War. Making canteens for Southern soldiers caused him a great deal of grief with the Union. He was attacked, beaten, and left for dead. Only by the hand of his loving wife was he found and nursed back to health. Andrews was then arrested and imprisoned in Jefferson City where General Lyons wanted him shot as a rebel sympathizer. Mrs. Andrews went to the capital determined to get him freed and did manage to secure his release.


After the war, Andrews opened the first hardware store in Boonville and grew his assets to $300,000. He also took an active role in local government for a number of years by serving on the city council and becoming mayor.


David Andrews died in Boonville on April 30, 1893, and is buried at Walnut Grove cemetery.

bottom of page